MUSEUM OF THE PAMPLONA CATHEDRAL
MAIN ROOMS OF THE PAMPLONA CATHEDRAL
Constructed between 1782 and 1804 by Santos Ángel de Ochandátegui, following the design of Ventura Rodríguez.
1 NORTH TOWER BELLS
2 CHAPEL OF ST. JHON THE BAPTIST
The Crucified Christ by Juan de Anchieta is dated around 1577. It is one of the most important sculptures of the Renaissance period in Navarre.
3 CHAPEL OF ST. CHRISTINE
The altarpiece of Saint Christ (last third of the 15th century) is Gothic, and features paintings of the prophets and a sculpture of the Saint Christ.
4 CHAPEL OF ST. JOSEPH
The baroque altarpiece of Saint Joseph (1691) contains a sculpture of Saint Joseph, a relief of Saint Thomas and a painting of the Calvary.
5 ROYAL MAUSOLEUM
The mausoleum of Charles III the Noble and Eleonor of Castile was created in alabaster and black marble by Jehan Lome de Tournay between 1413 and 1419.
6 CHAPEL OF ST. MARTIN
The altar piece of the Relics (1643) is formed with a small altarpiece with thirteen paintings in copper and the image of the Virgin with the Child.
7 NORTH WING OF THE TRANSEPT
Santa María del Sagrario, also known as Santa María la Real and Santa María de Pamplona, is a 12th century Romanesque sculpture.
Sandoval Chapel, San Agustín altarpiece, Capellans altarpiece, San Fermin altarpiece, Saint Thomas altarpiece, La Piedad altarpiece.
13 CHAPEL OF THE MOST HOLY
The altarpiece of St. Gregory holds the image of Jesus Christ and next to the altarpiece, on the outside wall, is a painting of St. Blas. The ancient choir grille (1540) is used to close the chapel.
Built at the end of the 11th century as a residence for the Canons during their first years of communal living. It is the oldest building in the Cathedral.
This is one of the best preserved cloisters in Europe. Its construction started in 1280 and lasted until 1330.
19 FORMER EPISCOPAL RESIDENCE
It is formed with different rooms that constituted the Bishops’ Palace from the 12th century up to the first third of the 15th century.
Former canteen of the Canons, constructed between approximately 1330 and 1335. It was also used as a meeting room for the Royal Courts.
Annexed to the refectory and dated between approximately 1330 and 1335. It has four lateral vents and a wider central vent, which reaches twenty-seven meters high.
32 BARBAZANA CHAPEL
Originally the Chapter Hall. In the centre is the 14th century sepulchre of the bishop Arnaldo de Barbazán and behind the altar is Our Lady of the Console from the same century.
34 CHAPEL OF ST. JOHN THE EVANGELIST
The sepulchre of Sancho Sanchiz de Oteiza, the founder of the current chapel, is a masterpiece by Jehan Lome (author of the Royal Mausoleum), created between 1420 and 1425.
35 CHAPEL OF ST. CATHERINE
It is the chapel of the brotherhood of this Saint since the 14th century. The altarpiece made in 1690 with different saints headed by St. Catherine dominates the space. It also has plenty of Baroque-style vegetation decoration.
37 SOUTH TOWER BELLS
Nine o'clock Bell, Cimbalilla Bell, La Juana Bell, Silver Bell, Prayer Bell, Gabriela Bell, Kindergarten Bell, Santa Bárbara Bell.